The Medium is The Message - A brief look into 'Part Of Me' by Katy Perry
A lot of
things seem pretty trivial…until they don’t. The topic I’m going to write about
today seems pretty deep at first look, but hang on…it’s not quite as thoughtful
as it seems. Interestingly, this blog post is an example of what I’m trying to
talk about.
Confusing
talk aside, let’s dive into the topic at hand. Today, I’m going to talk about
Katy Perry’s chart-topping pop single, Part of Me, which has received a lot of
critical acclaim, and I, personally, feel that this song portrays a lot of emotions,
particularly through its music video, some of which are lost when listening
solely to the song.
When I
first heard the song, although it did appeal to me considering pop is one of
the genres I usually seem to like, but it didn’t come off as much more than a
catchy pop song which dealt with the phase after a breakup in a romantic
relation. I mean, sure, it’s pretty good and all, but it wasn’t anything
particularly new or original. And then I stumbled across the music video while
lazily browsing though John Legend music videos, which now that I’ve mentioned,
are pretty deep themselves. But that’s for another day. Back to the evergreen
Katy Perry.
The music video does an awful lot to exponentially
enhance the emotion of the song. It starts with Katy finding out that her
boyfriend had been unfaithful to her. She walks up to him and hands him the
ring that he gave to her before coming out crying as he chases her. At this
point, I’m thinking that it’s pretty much the usual and expected storyline. The
extremely clichéd American drama. She then walks into a gas station store,
where there’s a poster that says “ALL WOMEN ARE CREATED EQUAL, THEN SOME BECOME
MARINES”. The moment of realisation ensues, where Katy Perry very nobly decides
that the best way to take out her frustration is to do something productive and
then without a second thought, turns around walks into the washroom, chops off
her beautiful locks and decides to sign up for the United States Marine Corps.
The rest of
video oscillates intermittently between the two phases of Katy’s life. One
where she’s just a normal woman, spending time with her boyfriend, reminiscing,
while the other whilst performing gruelling tasks training for the Marine
Corps. Initially, her expression gives away that she’s still living in the past,
but as the video progresses, she only starts regaining her confidence and
swagger. She even ignores a letter from her boyfriend, calling her back.
The video
concludes with Perry, brimming with confidence, dancing under the American
flag, ready to begin her newest mission.
This song
really gave me goosebumps when I heard it along with the music video. It’s a
beautiful way of showing that life goes on and every grey cloud has a silver
lining. I’ve always been a fan of Katy Perry, and she’s one of my favourite
female artists, behind just Rihanna, and this only raises her in my eyes. God
bless you, Katy Perry, you wonderful woman.
I hope that my message comes out loud and clear and my
cryptic words at the beginning don’t seem quite as cryptic now. So until next
time, adiós damas y caballeros!
Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuwfgXD8qV8
Comments
Post a Comment